Presented is a wonderful Gorham sterling silver 60 piece flatware set. This set is done in the ever popular Chantilly pattern, which began production in 1895. This set provides service for 8, with 5-piece place settings, and a variety of versatile serving pieces. The larger knives have stainless steel blades in the New French style. The pie server also has a stainless blade. The butter knives have sterling silver blades.
The set consists of:
- 8 knives--8 7/8 inches long.
- 8 forks--7 inches long.
- 8 salad forks--6 1/2 inches long.
- 8 butter knives--5 7/8 inches long.
- 12 teaspoons--5 7/8 inches long.
- 5 parfait/iced tea spoons--7 1/2 inches long.
- 3 serving spoons--8 3/8 inches long.
- 2 serving forks--8 1/2 inches long.
- 1 gravy/sauce serving ladle--6 3/4 inches long.
- 1 sugar shell--6 inches long.
- 1 small pierced server--4 5/8 inches long.
- 1 master butter--6 3/4 inches long.
- 1 pickle/lemon fork--4 3/8 inches long.
- 1 pie server--10 inches inches long.
Each non-knife piece is stamped with the Gorham maker's mark as well as sterling and the patent date of the handle. The knives are marked sterling handle on the collars and stainless on the blades.
This set is in great condition. The details of the design are nice and crisp. There are no splits, no breaks, no dents, no monograms, no monogram removals, and no repairs.
We are including with the set a felt-lined flatware storage chest. The chest is in good shape and does an excellent job of protecting the silver from wear. The chest is a free gift and does not factor in to the price or condition statement of the set, we merely include it as a convenience for the buyer. If you do not want this storage chest, please let us know and we will not ship it.
The weighable silver weight for the set is 1900 grams or 67.0 regular ounces. We estimate that each of the 8 knives and the pie server, which have stainless steel blades, has at least an ounce of silver in the weight of each handle, and we base this estimate on having scrapped damaged knives in the past and being able to weigh the silver alone. So by our estimate, the total silver weight including the knives is about 2154 grams, or 76 regular ounces.