Great Reed Barton Sterling Silver 92pc Francis I Flatware Set Serves 12
Presented is a fabulous Reed & Barton sterling silver 92 piece flatware set. This set is done in the lovely Francis I pattern, which began production in 1907. This is an attractive pattern featuring classical foliate scrollwork and fruit designs in crisp high relief on the handles. The set serves 12, with a double complement of teaspoons and a variety of versatile serving pieces as well. The knives have sterling silver handles and stainless steel blades in the New French style. Most of the pieces are unmonogrammed, with only three pieces out of 92 having a monogram, detailed below.
- 12 dinner knives: 9 1/4 inches long.
- 12 dinner forks: 7 1/4 inches long.
- 12 salad forks: 6 1/4 inches long.
- 12 soup spoons: 6 inches long.
- 12 butter knives/spreaders: 6 1/4 inches long.
- 24 teaspoons: 6 inches long.
- 2pc salad serving set: older marks 8 3/8 inches long.
- 2 casserole serving spoons: 9 3/8 inches long. One has a monogram of K.
- 1 serving fork: 9 1/2 inches long. K monogram.
- 1 serving ladle: 6 3/4 inches long.
- 1 gravy/sauce ladle: 5 3/4 inches long. W monogram.
- 1 master salt spoon: 3 1/2 inches long.
Each non-knife piece is stamped with the Reed & Barton maker's mark as well as sterling. The knives are marked on the blade with Reed & Barton, sterling handle, and "Mirrorstele," Reed & Barton's proprietary stainless steel. Most of the pieces have the Reed & Barton name spelled out, while the salad serving set, the two large serving spoons, the serving fork, and one teaspoon have the older "eagle-R-lion" mark.
This set is in great condition. The details of the pattern are nice and crisp. The forks have some minor knife wear to the backs of the tines, commensurate with age and use. There are no splits, no breaks, no dents, no monogram removals, and no repairs.
We are including with the set a felt-lined wooden flatware storage chest. The chest is in good shape and does an excellent job of protecting the silver from wear. The chest is a free gift and does not factor in to the price or condition statement of the set, we merely include it as a convenience for the buyer. If you do not want this storage chest, please let us know and we will not ship it. The weighable silver weight for the set, not including the knives or butter spreaders with stainless steel blades, is 3342 grams or 117.9 regular ounces.